As we all head towards the end of 2010, so the mobile industry starts making predictions for 2011. The team at The Fonecast will be making its own predictions on the last podcast before Christmas – and we’ll be looking back on the success (or otherwise) of our 2010 predictions – so please make sure you listen on 22nd December.
Meanwhile, to get you in a festive mood, management consulting firm Northstream has announced its predicted top five trends for the global mobile industry in 2011.
Northstream’s five predictions are:
1. LTE in 2011: Like Spring weather – up and down, but with Summer coming up
2. Mobile video calling will finally take off – but no thanks to the 3GPP video call standard
3. iOS and Android platforms become the focal point of service convergence
4. Strong growth in mobile connections will demonstrate that 10 billion global connections will be reached by 2015
5. Operators will discriminate on data usage policies in order to lower CAPEX, increase revenues and improve service quality – the regulator backlash may take place in 2012.
You can read the predictions in full on Northstream’s web site.