Juniper Research has published a list of the top ten trends for the mobile and wireless industry in 2011.
Last year it expected mobile data traffic to strain network operators; something that’s expected to continue in 2011. The full list is available as a free download from the Juniper Research website.
1. Surging mobile data traffic will continue to test 3G network capacity
Tiered pricing is expected to increase.
2. Augmented Reality to enhance mobile games and retail
Augmented Reality is now attracting the attention of the retail industry… and an increasing number of AR-based games are also expected.
3. Cloud-based operating systems are launched
Mobile operating systems are expected to follow PCs with the launch of the first cloud OS for mobile.
4. Mobile banking will become a ‘must-have’ when opening a new account
Developed countries will see banks using apps and smartphones to provide an improved, personalised service experience.
5. Mobile devices begin to replace credit cards
Using your phone as a credit card for lower value purchases will become a reality in some countries.
6. Mobile handsets become even more sensitive
Accelerometers, gyroscopes and GPS will start to become standard – and other sensors will be incorporated.
7. Mobile lottery tickets sales to soar fuelled by deployments in US, Europe and China
Mobile lotteries will hit the mainstream, with launches across the US and Europe.
8. Mobile-specific threats lead to demand for mobile-specific security
Expect a move by anti-virus software vendors to sell into the mobile space in 2011.
9. Buyouts take social purchasing to a new level
Google’s rumoured plans to purchase Groupon could transform shopping on mobile phones.
10. More vendors develop a GreenHeart
Sony Ericsson’s GreenHeart eco-friendly products could lead a similar move by other manufacturers.
|The Fonecast will be broadcasting its own 2011 predictions for the UK mobile phone industry in the last podcast before Christmas. Click here to subscribe to the RSS feed or find the podcast on iTunes.