Categories
Close
Menu
Menu
Close
Search
Search

Featured Articles

Opinion

Last week at The Fonecast: 21st January 2013

Mark

Slip slidin' away

Share:

Print

Rate article:

No rating
Rate this article:
No rating

Mark Bridge writes:

There’s plenty of snow disrupting the UK – but, thanks to the mobile telecoms industry, thousands upon thousands of people are able to work from home. We’re all feeling pretty pleased with ourselves right now, aren’t we?

Pedestrians may have been skating down pavements but a different kind of trouble on the high street dominated much of last week as music, DVD and occasional mobile phone retailer HMV went into administration. All the company’s shops will keep trading while the search for a buyer continues. Meanwhile EE said it was getting rid of 78 of its duplicate stores; almost inevitable when the rebranding of Orange and T-Mobile left many towns with two places to find Everything Everywhere. Oh, and the Metropolitan Police reckons around 10,000 mobiles will be stolen in London this month.

However there was good news from the UK as well. From next spring, most people with a UK current account will be able to transfer money by quoting the recipient’s mobile phone number rather than a sort code and account details. “Payment by text message” said many of the mainstream news stories, although that’s not exactly the case.

Over in the USA, Facebook enhanced the iOS version of its Messenger application to let users speak to each other without paying call charges. The VoIP feature was launched in Canada earlier this month but there’s no sign of a UK announcement yet.

Financial results from eBay and PayPal suggested they’d had a particularly good year with customers using mobile technology, while a drop in Intel’s profits gave the impression they could do with more mobile sales.

Talking of which, new research says shipments of large-screen ‘phablets’ are expected to more than double this year. Expect 60 million smartphones with a 5-inch screen (or bigger) to be shipped worldwide during 2013. Looking slightly further ahead, more than half of all mobile phones shipped next year are expected to be smartphones, according to ABI Research.

Which prompts a couple of questions. If the majority of devices are ‘smart’, it seems inappropriate to call them ‘smartphones’ any more. What should we call the next generation of smartphones... and how will we spot them amongst their less-smart predecessors?

Every Monday morning we summarise the past week’s mobile industry headlines in our newsletter. To receive it, simply register your email address at TheFonecast.com by clicking the link at the top right-hand corner of our home page.

Comments

Collapse Expand Comments (0)
You don't have permission to post comments.

Opinion Articles

ExclusivePrivacy in Mobile Apps: MEF roundtable in Barcelona

During Mobile World Congress 2012, TheFonecast.com was invited to record a roundtable on Privacy in Mobile Applications. This event was hosted by MEF, the global community for mobile content and commerce, and was supported by SNR Denton.

Our recording is now online at TheFonecast.com and on the MEF blog.

ExclusiveLast week at The Fonecast: 19th March 2012

Mark Bridge writes:

Mobile financial services were making the headlines yet again last week. Not once. Not twice. No, we noticed at least three separate (and all pretty big) stories to talk about.

First came Nokia’s planned withdrawal from its mobile money service, which will leave around a million people in India looking for a new mobile wallet.

ExclusiveRebtel: the mobile VoIP rebel that speaks its mind

Mark Bridge writes:

Back in the 1960s, Hertz was the number one hire car company in the USA. Avis was trailing a long way behind. Looking for a new advertising campaign, CEO Robert Townsend spoke to Bill Bernbach - the ‘B’ in ad agency DDB - and a few months later “We try harder” became the Avis tagline.

“Avis is only No.2 in rent a cars” the headlines admitted. “We try harder. When you’re not the biggest, you have to.”

It’s a message I was reminded of when I met Andreas Bernström at Mobile World Congress last month. Andreas is CEO of Rebtel, the world’s second-largest mobile Voice-over-IP company. With Skype seen as market leader for VoIP services, I asked Andreas whether Rebtel also needed to try harder.

RSS
First4344454648505152Last

Recent Podcasts

ExclusivePodcast from Mobile World Congress 2015

Mark Bridge learns about the mobile technology trends at Mobile World Congress 2015 by chatting to James Rosewell of 51Degrees, Dr Kevin Curran from the IEEE and Chris Millington of Doro.

They talk about wearable devices, wireless charging, mobile operating systems and much more... including some of their favourite products from the exhibition.

ExclusiveLooking back at February: from security scares to multiple MVNOs

We're taking a look back at the biggest mobile industry news stories from February 2015, including allegations that the UK's security service tried to breach SIM card security by hacking into one of the world's biggest SIM producers.

We also talk about the planned BT and EE merger, the creation of two new UK virtual networks, some acquisitions in the mobile payment arena and a new Ubuntu smartphone.

ExclusiveA month of mobile: O2 counts on 3, Microsoft counts to 10 and Apple counts its profits

We're back with a month of mobile industry news, including takeover talks and takeover rumours. O2 and Three are said to be discussing a merger... but is there any truth in the suggestions that BlackBerry could be up for grabs?

We also discuss Apple's record-breaking quarterly figures, the highlights of CES and the launch of Microsoft Windows 10, as well as saying farewell to the current version of Google Glass.

RSS
12345678910Last

Follow thefonecast.com

Archive Calendar

«May 2026»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
27282930123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
1234567

Archive