It's the so-called 'silly season' for news, so we'll forgive online insurance provider protectyourbubble.com for its list of the ten most incredible iPhone insurance claims. The company, which says a fifth of Apple iPhone users have made an insurance claim during the past 12 months, puts "I dropped it from a hot air balloon" at the top of its list. Other unexpected claims include "I lost it while sky diving", "my son used it as a table tennis racket" and "I accidentally buried it in the garden".
The most-common claims involve cracked screens, thefts, faults and the iPhone being dropped. Accidental damage accounts for 45% of all claims.
A spokesman for the company said "With so many people carrying an iPhone with them wherever they go, it’s no surprise that they are being lost or damaged in a host of unusual ways. Most of us know someone who has managed to drop their iPhone in a pint of beer or down the toilet – but these bizarre claims we have uncovered must be one-offs. The amazing ways people manage to be separated from their iPhone goes to show that you never know what’s around the corner – and it pays to get your iPhone insured."
Protectyourbubble.com says its ten most-bizarre iPhone claims are:
1. I dropped it from a hot air balloon
2. I lost it while sky diving
3. It broke when my son used it as a table tennis racket
4. I lost it while building a sand castle for the kids
5. I accidentally buried it in the garden
6. It fell into the kettle
7. I dropped it in a food blender
8. My dog chewed it to pieces
9. Juice from a defrosting piece of meat leaked into it
10. It flew out of the car window