Categories
Close
Menu
Menu
Close
Search
Search

Featured Articles

[EasyDNNnews:IfNotExists:Image]
News

Phones 4u in administration: EE, Vodafone and Dixons Carphone all offer roles to retail staff

[EasyDNNnews:EndIf:Image]
Mark

Share:

Print

Rate article:

No rating
Rate this article:
No rating

Dixons Carphone, EE and Vodafone have all offered roles to a number of staff affected by the closure of Phones 4u stores. Over 5,500 staff worked for the retailer when it went into administration last week.

Image

On Wednesday, Dixons Carphone agreed to offer roles to more than 800 staff working in the Phones 4u concessions within PC World and Currys stores.

This was followed by news that Vodafone UK had agreed to take on 140 of the Phones 4u stores together with of 887 jobs - and EE had agreed to acquire 58 Phones 4u stores, preserving 359 jobs. Both deals are subject to court approval today.

However, there have been 628 redundancies from the Phones 4u head office in Newcastle-under-Lyme, including a number of telesales staff. More than 400 head office employees are being retained by the administrators at the moment.


UPDATE: Court approval has been given for the Vodafone and EE deals, effectively securing the jobs of more than two thousand Phones 4u staff working in 198 stores and 160 concessions.

However, the administrators say it’s now necessary to close the remaining 362 stores, which means 1,697 staff employed at these locations will be made redundant. Another 720 have been kept on in the short term to help with the programme of closures.

Rob Hunt of PwC, who was appointed as one of the joint administrators, said “It is with much regret that we have today made the difficult decision to close a large number of stores. It is a very sad day for the staff working at those locations and our thoughts are with them. We will make every effort to help the affected staff, working with the Phones 4u HR team over the coming days to support employees.”

Comments

Collapse Expand Comments (0)
You don't have permission to post comments.

Opinion Articles

ExclusiveIs Android losing its impact for Google?

Mark Bridge writes:

Recent figures released by ABI Research have prompted the market intelligence company to ask whether Google is losing control of the Android ecosystem.

At first glance, Android dominated smartphone shipments for the final quarter of 2013. ABI Research says 77% of the 287 million smartphones shipped in Q4 2013 were running Android.

ExclusiveIt’s time to prepare for the upcoming surge in signaling traffic

Robin Kent writes:

After initially suffering from slow pick up by consumers, 4G has begun to accelerate, and is now well on the way to the forecasted one billion subscribers by 2017. In fact EE, owner of T-Mobile and Orange, recently announced the addition of 493,000 new 4G customers to its existing base of 1.2 million.

ExclusiveMobile phone coverage: is this as good as it gets?

Mark Bridge writes:

A new report has highlighted the issue of poor mobile phone coverage in rural Sussex villages. BBC Sussex invited me onto their ‘Sussex Breakfast’ radio show to explain what could be done - and, as usual, I made enough notes for a lecture rather than a three-minute interview.

Here’s what I would have liked to have said if I’d been given a disproportionate amount of time to talk.

ExclusiveLast week at The Fonecast: 27th January 2014

Mark Bridge writes:

Great news for mobile phone users. Ofcom’s new rules preventing unexpected mid-contract price rises came into force last week, which means UK consumers can no longer be surprised by their subscription charge increasing while they’re still locked into a minimum-term deal.

ExclusiveOfcom changes the rules for mobile phone contracts... and so does O2

Mark Bridge writes:

This week, new Ofcom rules came into force. They’re designed to avoid unexpected price rises during the minimum term of a mobile phone contract. Yes, just because you signed a fixed-term contract doesn’t mean the charges can’t increase. Networks said they needed this option in case of inflation or regulatory changes. Customers felt trapped.

RSS
First567810121314Last

Recent Podcasts

ExclusivePodcast from Mobile World Congress 2015

Mark Bridge learns about the mobile technology trends at Mobile World Congress 2015 by chatting to James Rosewell of 51Degrees, Dr Kevin Curran from the IEEE and Chris Millington of Doro.

They talk about wearable devices, wireless charging, mobile operating systems and much more... including some of their favourite products from the exhibition.

ExclusiveLooking back at February: from security scares to multiple MVNOs

We're taking a look back at the biggest mobile industry news stories from February 2015, including allegations that the UK's security service tried to breach SIM card security by hacking into one of the world's biggest SIM producers.

We also talk about the planned BT and EE merger, the creation of two new UK virtual networks, some acquisitions in the mobile payment arena and a new Ubuntu smartphone.

ExclusiveA month of mobile: O2 counts on 3, Microsoft counts to 10 and Apple counts its profits

We're back with a month of mobile industry news, including takeover talks and takeover rumours. O2 and Three are said to be discussing a merger... but is there any truth in the suggestions that BlackBerry could be up for grabs?

We also discuss Apple's record-breaking quarterly figures, the highlights of CES and the launch of Microsoft Windows 10, as well as saying farewell to the current version of Google Glass.

RSS
1234567810Last

Follow thefonecast.com

Archive Calendar

«May 2026»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
27282930123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
1234567

Archive