Categories
Close
Menu
Menu
Close
Search
Search

Featured Articles

News

Apple cuts App Store commission for smaller businesses

Mark

Share:

Print

Rate article:

No rating
Rate this article:
No rating
Apple has cut its commission for App Store sales and in-app purchases to 15% for businesses that earn less than $1 million (around £760,000) per year. The company says this will benefit “the vast majority of developers” who sell digital goods and services for iPhone and iPad users through its application store.

A commission rate of 30% will continue to apply to businesses and app developers making more than $1 million in a calendar year.

Known as the App Store Small Business Program, the new scheme will launch on 1st January 2021. Full details are expected to be released next month.

Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, said “Small businesses are the backbone of our global economy and the beating heart of innovation and opportunity in communities around the world. We’re launching this program to help small business owners write the next chapter of creativity and prosperity on the App Store, and to build the kind of quality apps our customers love. The App Store has been an engine of economic growth like none other, creating millions of new jobs and a pathway to entrepreneurship accessible to anyone with a great idea.”

The news comes as Epic Games continues its legal battle with Apple, arguing that App Store restrictions adversely affect competition and are a misuse of Apple’s power in the marketplace. Epic, the company behind popular game Fortnite, is currently taking legal action in the USA and has just launched new action in Australia.

Comments

Collapse Expand Comments (0)
You don't have permission to post comments.

Opinion Articles

ExclusiveThe lowdown on mPOS solutions, their technology and the security risk

Rachel McCormack writes:

Mobile point of sale transactions (mPOS) are growing in popularity as mobile use takes over from desktop computers. The description of ‘mobile’ point of sale transactions denotes the ability of a payment to be taken via smartphone or tablet rather than a traditional card reader. There are many different ways to do this; mobile chip & PIN, mobile swipe & sign and NFC payments. All of these methods vary in popularity and security conceptions and many are difficult to understand. In this article we will explore each and give you the chance to understand the technology and issues surrounding the various methods.

ExclusiveThe video-to-mobile challenge: a technical seminar

Mark Bridge writes:

The future of mobile technology is inextricably linked with video… or is it the other way round?

Some of the answers will be discussed next week at a seminar being run by the Digital TV Group (DTG), which is the industry association for digital television in the UK.

ExclusiveLast week at The Fonecast: 11th November 2013

Mark Bridge writes:

We started last week with a change of plan from BlackBerry. No, it’s not selling itself to Fairfax Financial. Instead it’s aiming to raise $1 billion from investors. Cynics might suggest there wasn’t enough interest for a takeover.

ExclusiveLast week at The Fonecast: 4th November 2013

Mark Bridge writes:

The Rockstar Consortium. That name sounds as though it could be promising more than it can deliver, doesn’t it?  Well, it’s not. It’s the group of mobile companies that picked up Nortel’s portfolio of several thousand tech patents for $4.5 billion. And now, its members – including Apple, Microsoft, BlackBerry, Ericsson and Sony – have set some of those patents on their biggest competitors.

ExclusiveLast week at The Fonecast: 28th October 2013

Mark Bridge writes:

No prizes for guessing which two mobile tech stories grabbed most of the headlines last week. Tuesday morning saw Nokia’s much-rumoured tablet and phablet launches, with a Windows RT device and two 6-inch smartphones joining the company’s product portfolio.

RSS
First910111214161718Last

Recent Podcasts

ExclusivePodcast from Mobile World Congress 2015

Mark Bridge learns about the mobile technology trends at Mobile World Congress 2015 by chatting to James Rosewell of 51Degrees, Dr Kevin Curran from the IEEE and Chris Millington of Doro.

They talk about wearable devices, wireless charging, mobile operating systems and much more... including some of their favourite products from the exhibition.

ExclusiveLooking back at February: from security scares to multiple MVNOs

We're taking a look back at the biggest mobile industry news stories from February 2015, including allegations that the UK's security service tried to breach SIM card security by hacking into one of the world's biggest SIM producers.

We also talk about the planned BT and EE merger, the creation of two new UK virtual networks, some acquisitions in the mobile payment arena and a new Ubuntu smartphone.

ExclusiveA month of mobile: O2 counts on 3, Microsoft counts to 10 and Apple counts its profits

We're back with a month of mobile industry news, including takeover talks and takeover rumours. O2 and Three are said to be discussing a merger... but is there any truth in the suggestions that BlackBerry could be up for grabs?

We also discuss Apple's record-breaking quarterly figures, the highlights of CES and the launch of Microsoft Windows 10, as well as saying farewell to the current version of Google Glass.

RSS
12345678910Last

Follow thefonecast.com

Archive Calendar

«May 2026»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
27282930123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
1234567

Archive