Categories
Close
Menu
Menu
Close
Search
Search

Featured Articles

Opinion

Has Apple just patented the touchscreen?

Mark

Share:

Print

Rate article:

No rating
Rate this article:
No rating

Mark Bridge writes:

Imagine a mobile phone that can’t be built without the permission of Apple. Impossible?  Unrealistic?  Not necessarily.

This week, Apple was awarded US patent 7,966,578. It’s an application that was originally filed at the end of 2007, almost a year after the iPhone was first revealed. The patent covers the way in which a mobile phone’s touch-sensitive screen responds when touched.

Although the patent doesn’t cover the invention of the touchscreen itself, it does cover the way a touchscreen works when you use it - and some people are concerned this could give Apple control over the way many current smartphones are designed.

In effect, it covers ‘multi-touch’: for example, using two or more fingers to zoom into an on-screen image.

It seems the big questions now are:

Will it hold up in court?  A judge could rule against Apple in the event of any legal action.

Is there any way round it?  It looks as though the patent covers the theory rather than the technology of multitouch, but I’m no patent expert.

What will Apple do next?  Patents are increasingly used as bargaining chips by technology companies - “you show me yours and I’ll show you mine” - which could give Apple enormous power over longer-established mobile businesses.

And perhaps most importantly...

How will Apple’s competitors respond?  Will we see a rush of legal cases as mobile companies aim for a ‘first strike’ against Apple - or will we see new innovation that bypasses the multi-touch screen. Speech recognition. Virtual reality. Projected keyboards. Video glasses.

Some mobile phone manufacturers could soon be facing a battle for their existence - but we could also be on the verge of a golden age of technology development. Litigation or innovation?  We’ll just have to wait and see. I can’t imagine we’ll be waiting long.

[United States Patent; Macworld.com]

Comments

Collapse Expand Comments (0)
You don't have permission to post comments.

Opinion Articles

ExclusiveLast week at The Fonecast: 23rd September 2013

Mark Bridge writes:

There are bad weeks... and there are BAD weeks. Blackberry had one of the latter. It all started so well. The company announced a new flagship phablet – the Z30 – and said it would be launching its BBM instant messaging service for iOS and Android handsets at the weekend.

ExclusiveEC's Neelie Kroes says ‘we must act now’ to change European telecoms rules

Mark Bridge writes:

Following Wednesday’s ‘State of the Union’ speech by EC President Jose Manuel Barroso, EC Vice-President Neelie Kroes has emphasised the urgency of changing the way telecoms companies operate across Europe.

Ms Kroes wants to cut red tape, end roaming charges, reduce call costs and introduce ‘net neutrality’ across Europe.

ExclusiveLast week at The Fonecast: 2nd September 2013

Mark Bridge writes:

So – we take a short break at the end of the August ‘silly season’ and one of the year’s biggest mobile-related rumours becomes fact. At least we’re back in time to report on the final stages of the Vodafone/Verizon deal. Yes, it looks as though Big Red will be picking up something like $130 billion for its 45% stake in Verizon Communications… possibly within the next few hours. Just don’t mention the tax, okay?

ExclusiveGSMA not cowed after EC compares mobile calls with milk

Mark Bridge writes:

In this week’s podcast we talked about a recent European study into call costs that had been highlighted by European Commission Vice President Neelie Kroes.

We agreed the headline was shocking - but also said there were potentially many other tariff factors that weren’t being compared.

RSS
First1112131416181920Last

Recent Podcasts

ExclusivePodcast from Mobile World Congress 2015

Mark Bridge learns about the mobile technology trends at Mobile World Congress 2015 by chatting to James Rosewell of 51Degrees, Dr Kevin Curran from the IEEE and Chris Millington of Doro.

They talk about wearable devices, wireless charging, mobile operating systems and much more... including some of their favourite products from the exhibition.

ExclusiveLooking back at February: from security scares to multiple MVNOs

We're taking a look back at the biggest mobile industry news stories from February 2015, including allegations that the UK's security service tried to breach SIM card security by hacking into one of the world's biggest SIM producers.

We also talk about the planned BT and EE merger, the creation of two new UK virtual networks, some acquisitions in the mobile payment arena and a new Ubuntu smartphone.

ExclusiveA month of mobile: O2 counts on 3, Microsoft counts to 10 and Apple counts its profits

We're back with a month of mobile industry news, including takeover talks and takeover rumours. O2 and Three are said to be discussing a merger... but is there any truth in the suggestions that BlackBerry could be up for grabs?

We also discuss Apple's record-breaking quarterly figures, the highlights of CES and the launch of Microsoft Windows 10, as well as saying farewell to the current version of Google Glass.

RSS
12345678910Last

Follow thefonecast.com

Archive Calendar

«May 2026»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
27282930123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
1234567

Archive