Categories
Close
Menu
Menu
Close
Search
Search

Featured Articles

News

Halloween giffgaff ad was too scary, says ASA

Mark

Share:

Print

Rate article:

No rating
Rate this article:
No rating

A Hallowe’en-themed video ad by UK virtual mobile network giffgaff was likely to offend or distress viewers, according to the Advertising Standards Authority. It upheld a number of complaints about the ‘Different Takes Guts’ advertisement on YouTube.

The ad showed characters playing with what appeared to be blood, entrails and various body organs while in a swimming pool.

Giffgaff said its ads aimed to be playful and humorous rather than frightening, with the literal use of ‘guts’ as a play on words about being courageous. It also said the ad was targeted at over 18s and had been approved by YouTube before being accepted.

However, while acknowledging that gory imagery was often more prevalent at Hallowe’en, the ASA “considered that the scenes of blood, guts and other organs being thrown around were extensive, graphic and excessively gory”. It also pointed out that the ads were shown in connection with unrelated videos and without any warning.

As a result, it ruled that the ad breached its rules on harm and offence.

A complaint about a shorter horror-themed video ad promoted via Facebook was not upheld.

[ASA adjudication; YouTube video]

Comments

Collapse Expand Comments (0)
You don't have permission to post comments.

Opinion Articles

ExclusiveLast week at The Fonecast: 15th October 2012

Mark Bridge writes:

Can you trust a Chinese company to build a telecoms network?  Apparently not, according to the US House of Representatives. The “Investigative Report on the U.S. National Security Issues Posed by Chinese Telecommunications Companies Huawei and ZTE” wasn’t at all impressed with the two companies, although most of the complaints appeared to be about a lack of cooperation rather than hard evidence. I wonder if any mysterious agents are planning to visit the new Huawei UK HQ before next year’s official opening?

ExclusiveCongressional warning on Chinese telecoms could prompt retaliation

William Gallo of voanews.com writes:

Analysts say this week's U.S. congressional report that called two Chinese telecoms a threat to national security is likely to prompt China to retaliate against U.S. businesses.

The House Intelligence Committee report warned U.S. companies against doing business with China's largest phone equipment companies, Huawei and ZTE.

ExclusiveKenya to pull plug on counterfeit mobile phones

Gabe Joselow of voanews.com writes:

Mobile phone subscribers in Kenya may wake up Monday morning to find their phones no longer work, as the nation's telecom companies enact a nation-wide switch-off of all counterfeit devices. Retailers and customers have mixed reactions to the plan, which could affect up to three million mobile phones.

ExclusiveLast week at The Fonecast: 1st October 2012

Mark Bridge writes:

Apple started last week in the glow of a CoolBrands survey that had named it the UK's coolest brand – but it ended the week with its head bowed in embarrassment. Not only did Tim Cook apologise for the quality of the company’s iOS 6 Maps application, he recommended that customers use competing services until it gets better.

RSS
First3031323335373839Last

Recent Podcasts

ExclusivePodcast from Mobile World Congress 2015

Mark Bridge learns about the mobile technology trends at Mobile World Congress 2015 by chatting to James Rosewell of 51Degrees, Dr Kevin Curran from the IEEE and Chris Millington of Doro.

They talk about wearable devices, wireless charging, mobile operating systems and much more... including some of their favourite products from the exhibition.

ExclusiveLooking back at February: from security scares to multiple MVNOs

We're taking a look back at the biggest mobile industry news stories from February 2015, including allegations that the UK's security service tried to breach SIM card security by hacking into one of the world's biggest SIM producers.

We also talk about the planned BT and EE merger, the creation of two new UK virtual networks, some acquisitions in the mobile payment arena and a new Ubuntu smartphone.

ExclusiveA month of mobile: O2 counts on 3, Microsoft counts to 10 and Apple counts its profits

We're back with a month of mobile industry news, including takeover talks and takeover rumours. O2 and Three are said to be discussing a merger... but is there any truth in the suggestions that BlackBerry could be up for grabs?

We also discuss Apple's record-breaking quarterly figures, the highlights of CES and the launch of Microsoft Windows 10, as well as saying farewell to the current version of Google Glass.

RSS
12345678910Last

Follow thefonecast.com

Archive Calendar

«May 2026»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
27282930123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
1234567

Archive