Categories
Close
Menu
Menu
Close
Search
Search

Featured Articles

News

RPX Corporation buys patents from Rockstar Consortium

Mark

Is this the end of the Android patent war?

Share:

Print

Rate article:

No rating
Rate this article:
No rating

Patent strategy specialist RPX Corporation says one of its subsidiary companies has bought approximately 4,000 patents from Rockstar Consortium.

Rockstar was formed three years ago to acquire around 6,000 technology patent assets from Nortel. The business is owned by Apple, Blackberry, Ericsson, Microsoft and Sony. Approximately 2,000 patents have subsequently been distributed to various Rockstar owners, leaving the remainder under the control of the consortium.

In 2013 the Rockstar group filed a legal complaint against Google and Android smartphone manufacturers Asustek, HTC, Huawei, LG, Pantech, Samsung and ZTE.

As a result of this new deal, the RPX Clearinghouse subsidiary will receive licence payments from a group of over 30 companies including Cisco and Google. RPX Clearinghouse says it’ll make the patents available to other interested companies under fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRAND) licence terms.

John A Amster, Chief Executive and Co-founder of RPX, said “We are pleased to act as a clearinghouse and underwrite an agreement between the owners of Rockstar and our syndicate of licensees. Leading technology companies from multiple industries came together to shape this transaction. We commend everyone involved for their leadership and commitment to clearing the risk of the Rockstar portfolio by negotiating a reasonable purchase price in one efficient transaction.”

“This is the largest syndicate of its kind, and it proves once again that our clearinghouse approach can transform the patent licensing process from one dominated by prolonged litigation to one that is transparent, scalable, and provides a rational outcome for licensors and licensees alike.”

Comments

Collapse Expand Comments (0)
You don't have permission to post comments.

Opinion Articles

ExclusiveSafer Internet Day and the security risks facing young smartphone users

Mark Bridge writes:

It’s Safer Internet Day today, which is a European Commission-backed event that’s all about promoting the safer use of online technology - both fixed-line and mobile internet connections - with a particular focus on children and young people.

Internet security specialist G Data has taken advantage of the occasion to offer its top five mobile security tips for parents and children to help them stay safe online.

ExclusiveLast week at The Fonecast: 6th February 2012

Mark Bridge writes:

Facebook’s certainly had its share of privacy concerns – but last week the social network revealed plans to go public in a very different way. It formally announced its intention to launch on the stock market; what is known in the USA as an Initial Public Offering. The IPO is expected to raise around $5 billion, although that’ll just be a fraction of the total (and as yet undisclosed) value of the company.

ExclusiveFacebook to raise $5 billion from Initial Public Offering

Mil Arcega of voanews.com writes:

Facebook is going public. The world’s largest social media network filed documents late Wednesday for its much anticipated initial public offering (IPO). Analysts say the initial offer will raise about $5 billion in the first go around, making it one of the biggest in recent history. We take a look at how much the company is worth and what that could mean for investors.

ExclusiveLast week at The Fonecast: 30th January 2012

Mark Bridge writes:

If you want a big money story from the last few days, you want Apple. The company announced its highest quarterly revenue ever, hitting $46.33 billion (£29.66 billion) with record quarterly profits of $13.06 billion. That’s probably enough money to buy the moon, assuming Newt Gingrich is prepared to sell it – or, in the real world, is one of the biggest quarterly profits ever.

RSS
First4647484951535455Last

Recent Podcasts

ExclusivePodcast from Mobile World Congress 2015

Mark Bridge learns about the mobile technology trends at Mobile World Congress 2015 by chatting to James Rosewell of 51Degrees, Dr Kevin Curran from the IEEE and Chris Millington of Doro.

They talk about wearable devices, wireless charging, mobile operating systems and much more... including some of their favourite products from the exhibition.

ExclusiveLooking back at February: from security scares to multiple MVNOs

We're taking a look back at the biggest mobile industry news stories from February 2015, including allegations that the UK's security service tried to breach SIM card security by hacking into one of the world's biggest SIM producers.

We also talk about the planned BT and EE merger, the creation of two new UK virtual networks, some acquisitions in the mobile payment arena and a new Ubuntu smartphone.

ExclusiveA month of mobile: O2 counts on 3, Microsoft counts to 10 and Apple counts its profits

We're back with a month of mobile industry news, including takeover talks and takeover rumours. O2 and Three are said to be discussing a merger... but is there any truth in the suggestions that BlackBerry could be up for grabs?

We also discuss Apple's record-breaking quarterly figures, the highlights of CES and the launch of Microsoft Windows 10, as well as saying farewell to the current version of Google Glass.

RSS
12345678910Last

Follow thefonecast.com

Archive Calendar

«May 2026»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
27282930123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
1234567

Archive