Categories
Close
Menu
Menu
Close
Search
Search

Featured Articles

News

Consumers think mobile networks would be best at providing video calling services

Mark

Share:

Print

Rate article:

No rating
Rate this article:
No rating

Consumers think mobile video calling services provided by mobile network operators would be better than those provided by third-party ‘over the top’ providers. That’s according to a survey commissioned by telecoms software specialist OpenCloud and carried out by YouGov across the UK, France, Germany and the USA.

Mobile operators were rated as potentially more capable than OTT service providers on four criteria: ease of use, number of contacts reachable, quality of video and use of the service across multiple devices.

Overall, 32% of people covered by the survey used OTT voice or video calling services on any device - and 18% used their mobile phone. Of those people currently using mobile video calling apps, 38% expected their use of video calling to increase over the next year.

When current video call users and non-users were asked whether they’d be interested in video calling services from their operator, a total of 37% showed ‘significant’ interest. 74% of those said they’d be interested in an operator-provided app while 89% would be interested in a ‘native’ experience similar to making a regular voice call.

The survey also showed potential for mobile operators to ‘poach’ existing OTT users: 60% of people already using OTT voice and/or video calling services said they’d be interested in an operator-provided service.

Mark Windle, Head of Marketing at OpenCloud, said “The use of video-calling services is set to grow. Following the launch of 4G, the video-calling market is now up for grabs and OTT services and operators’ Video-over-LTE (VoLTE) services will compete for their share. OTT brands have been successful in offering innovative video-calling, but with consumers appearing to believe that the network operators can now do better there is opportunity for them to regain some lost ground. Operators will need to address both perceived and actual levels of service innovation in a cost-competitive way in order to capitalise on this opportunity.”

Comments

Collapse Expand Comments (0)
You don't have permission to post comments.

Opinion Articles

ExclusiveMaybe mobile phone tariffs aren't a rip-off after all

Mark Bridge writes:

Oh, those nasty mobile networks. They're robbing us blind… at least, that's what you might think if you've been reading the headlines this week.

Mobile users 'overpaying by £200', said the BBC. £5bn 'wasted' on mobile phone bills, said the Financial Times. It's the wrong tariff, Gromit!, said Telecom TV after hitting the Wensleydale.

ExclusiveThis week at The Fonecast: 9th April 2011

Mark Bridge writes:

We head into the weekend with the News of the World admitting voicemail hacking was more widespread than previously thought. Mobile networks had already made it much harder to access voicemail remotely… and now the NotW is saying sorry and preparing to pay compensation.

ExclusiveDemolition Man, meet the Apple iAd Gallery

Mark Bridge writes:

We all have guilty pleasures. One of mine is the sci-fi film Demolition Man. Sylvester Stallone is 20th-century police sergeant John Spartan, who finds himself fighting crime in 2032 alongside the delightful Lieutenant Lenina Huxley, played by Sandra Bullock.

ExclusiveThis week at The Fonecast: 3rd April 2011

Mark Bridge writes:

Welcome to this week's news summary from TheFonecast.com.

In Wednesday's podcast Iain joked that we ought to have a regular Olympics news story because everyone else was talking about the event constantly. Well, following the headlines about introducing WiFi to tube stations in time for London 2012 comes another Olympic news story.

RSS
First7677787981838485Last

Recent Podcasts

ExclusivePodcast from Mobile World Congress 2015

Mark Bridge learns about the mobile technology trends at Mobile World Congress 2015 by chatting to James Rosewell of 51Degrees, Dr Kevin Curran from the IEEE and Chris Millington of Doro.

They talk about wearable devices, wireless charging, mobile operating systems and much more... including some of their favourite products from the exhibition.

ExclusiveLooking back at February: from security scares to multiple MVNOs

We're taking a look back at the biggest mobile industry news stories from February 2015, including allegations that the UK's security service tried to breach SIM card security by hacking into one of the world's biggest SIM producers.

We also talk about the planned BT and EE merger, the creation of two new UK virtual networks, some acquisitions in the mobile payment arena and a new Ubuntu smartphone.

ExclusiveA month of mobile: O2 counts on 3, Microsoft counts to 10 and Apple counts its profits

We're back with a month of mobile industry news, including takeover talks and takeover rumours. O2 and Three are said to be discussing a merger... but is there any truth in the suggestions that BlackBerry could be up for grabs?

We also discuss Apple's record-breaking quarterly figures, the highlights of CES and the launch of Microsoft Windows 10, as well as saying farewell to the current version of Google Glass.

RSS
12345678910Last

Follow thefonecast.com

Archive Calendar

«May 2026»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
27282930123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
1234567

Archive