Categories
Close
Menu
Menu
Close
Search
Search

Featured Articles

News

Mozilla stops selling Firefox smartphones

Mark

New focus on 'connected devices'

Share:

Print

Rate article:

No rating
Rate this article:
No rating

Mozilla has said it’ll stop producing smartphones based on its Firefox operating system. However, it will continue its research into other connected devices.

The announcement was made at a developer event earlier this week and was later confirmed by TechCrunch.

Image

Ari Jaaksi, Senior Vice President of Connected Devices at Mozilla, is quoted as saying “Firefox OS proved the flexibility of the Web, scaling from low-end smartphones all the way up to HD TVs. However, we weren’t able to offer the best user experience possible and so we will stop offering Firefox OS smartphones through carrier channels.”

The company later published a blog post that stated "We will explore and prototype new use cases in the world of connected devices as an open source project with a clear focus on the user benefit and experience. We will focus on products and technologies that allow people to access and manage their world of connected devices, helping to ensure people are empowered, safe and independent."

The Firefox OS was announced in 2012 and was available to consumers from 2013.

You can hear Christian Heilmann from Mozilla Corporation as part of our podcast from Mobile Monday in July 2013. The programme can be heard via the built-in audio player on our website or by downloading the MP3 file.

Comments

Collapse Expand Comments (0)
You don't have permission to post comments.

Opinion Articles

ExclusiveWhy there's no point putting NFC in the Apple iPhone 5

Mark Bridge writes:

A report in The Independent says Apple won't be putting a Near Field Communication chip in the next version of the iPhone. Although Apple is thought to be working on its own NFC service connected to iTunes, it's said to be "concerned by the lack of a clear standard across the industry".

On the surface, that phrase doesn’t make sense.

ExclusiveThis week at The Fonecast: 12th March 2011

Mark Bridge writes:

Sadly we’re ending the week with yet another natural disaster. Barely two weeks after New Zealand’s earthquake comes news of Japan’s biggest quake in living memory.

Still, I’m here to talk about mobile phones, so – after a quick mention of the great work being done by the Red Cross – I’ll get on with it.

ExclusiveMicrosoft deal may not work out, admits Nokia

Mark Bridge writes:

In recent weeks there’s been a lot of talk about the partnership between Nokia and Microsoft. But taking a look at today’s Form 20-F - the annual report that Nokia is filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission - provides a valuable reminder that nothing’s set in stone.

ExclusiveWhat's the biggest challenge facing mobile phone manufacturers?

Mark Bridge writes:

For the last couple of months we've been running a survey on TheFonecast.com with the title “What's the biggest challenge facing mobile phone manufacturers?”

The answer appears to be very clear. According to 60% of respondents, 'battery life' is the major issue for mobile manufacturers.

RSS
First7879808183858687Last

Recent Podcasts

ExclusivePodcast from Mobile World Congress 2015

Mark Bridge learns about the mobile technology trends at Mobile World Congress 2015 by chatting to James Rosewell of 51Degrees, Dr Kevin Curran from the IEEE and Chris Millington of Doro.

They talk about wearable devices, wireless charging, mobile operating systems and much more... including some of their favourite products from the exhibition.

ExclusiveLooking back at February: from security scares to multiple MVNOs

We're taking a look back at the biggest mobile industry news stories from February 2015, including allegations that the UK's security service tried to breach SIM card security by hacking into one of the world's biggest SIM producers.

We also talk about the planned BT and EE merger, the creation of two new UK virtual networks, some acquisitions in the mobile payment arena and a new Ubuntu smartphone.

ExclusiveA month of mobile: O2 counts on 3, Microsoft counts to 10 and Apple counts its profits

We're back with a month of mobile industry news, including takeover talks and takeover rumours. O2 and Three are said to be discussing a merger... but is there any truth in the suggestions that BlackBerry could be up for grabs?

We also discuss Apple's record-breaking quarterly figures, the highlights of CES and the launch of Microsoft Windows 10, as well as saying farewell to the current version of Google Glass.

RSS
12345678910Last

Follow thefonecast.com

Archive Calendar

«May 2026»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
27282930123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
1234567

Archive