Categories
Close
Menu
Menu
Close
Search
Search

Featured Articles

RSS
123

Opinion Articles

Opinion

4G doesn't come to Three

Mark

Share:

Print

Rate article:

No rating
Rate this article:
No rating

Mark Bridge writes:

Earlier today, Three.co.uk published a blog post headlined “4G comes to Three”. But it hasn’t.

I spent most of this morning here at Mobile World Congress muttering about the blog before returning to it this afternoon. And suddenly it’s changed.

The blog post remains. The headline is completely different. Now we’re told “Three to launch leading edge 3G service”.

Just as well, really, because the news wasn’t about 4G coming to the Three UK network. It was about HSPA+ service being rolled out to Three’s UK customers. And that’s not 4G. It’s more like fast 3G. In simple terms, the technology is different.

Now, admittedly the original blog did go on to say “this isn’t 4G as in Long Term Evolution… instead it’s the leading-edge version of 3G technology”. But that doesn’t forgive the original misleading headline... and the moderator’s comment of “it’s not 4G, we weren’t trying to claim that” falls a little flat.

Particularly when the company told us last year that “we currently operate on an HSPA network, and have already started moving towards HSPA+. We don’t have any immediate plans to start referring to this technology as 4G as some others have done.”

How quickly things change.

In recent months, Three has been using its ‘unlimited’ tariffs to build a reputation as a network to trust when it comes to mobile data.

Today, I think that hard-won reputation has been somewhat dented.

Comments

Collapse Expand Comments (0)
You don't have permission to post comments.

Recent Podcasts

ExclusivePodcast - 28th February 2012

James Rosewell and Mark Bridge report from Mobile World Congress 2012 in Barcelona. In today's programme they look back at Monday's big news, they talk about user experience and look forward to Tuesday's events.

ExclusivePodcast - 27th February 2012

James Rosewell and Mark Bridge report from Mobile World Congress 2012 in Barcelona. In today's programme they discuss some of the pre-show news and also look forward to Monday's events.

ExclusivePodcast - 22nd February 2012

Barclays introduces person-to-person mobile money transfers to the UK, Ofcom gets the go-ahead to cut wholesale interconnection charges, a handful of new phones are announced ahead of Mobile World Congress... plus the rest of the week's big news.

ExclusivePodcast - 15th February 2012

This week's headlines include Google and Motorola getting the go-ahead for their acquisition deal, 4000 Nokia staff losing their jobs, satellite phones being hacked, a new upgrade scheme from Phones 4u... and much more.

ExclusivePodcast - 10th February 2012

Dave Golding from Cellebrite talks about the company's new diagnostic tool. It uses the Cellbrite Touch tablet device to identify and fix faults, which enables retailers to reduce the number of suspect handsets they send for repair.
RSS
First3738394042444546Last

Follow thefonecast.com

Archive Calendar

«May 2026»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
27282930123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
1234567

Archive