Categories
Close
Menu
Menu
Close
Search
Search

Featured Articles

News

Ofcom confirms plans to simplify UK phone call charges from 2015

Mark

Clearer pricing for numbers beginning 08, 09 and 118

Share:

Print

Rate article:

No rating
Rate this article:
No rating

UK telecoms regulator Ofcom says it’ll simplify fixed-line and mobile phone call charges from 2015. There’ll be clearer pricing for ‘non-geographic’ numbers that start 08, 09 and 118. In addition, calls that begin 080 will always be free from mobile phones as well as from landlines.

The new rules will mean that the cost of calls to 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers will be broken down into an ‘access charge’ to their phone company plus a ‘service charge’ to the organisation being called. The access charge will be set by the individual mobile or fixed-line phone company and will be made clear to customers when they sign a new contract.

At the moment, mobile customers are often unaware of specific charges when they call these non-standard numbers. Instead, they may be given a general warning that “calls from mobiles may cost considerably more” than calling from a BT line.

Under the new rules, they’ll see a message that makes the charges clearer. For example, “Calls will cost x pence per minute, plus your phone company’s access charge.”

The changes will come into effect on 26th June 2015, three years after Ofcom’s consultation started. At the same time, consumer calls to ‘freephone’ 0800, 0808 and 116 numbers will become free from mobile phones as well as from landlines.

Ed Richards, Chief Executive of Ofcom, said “These changes will be the biggest for UK telephone customers in more than a decade. We expect them to restore people’s confidence in using phone services, and to increase competition. Freephone will mean free for all consumers, and the cost of calling other services will be made clear. Telephone users will be able to see how much they’re paying, and where their money is going.”

Although these changes will only be a legal requirement from residential (non-business) lines, Ofcom says it expects businesses to be offered the same benefits.

[Ofcom statement]

Comments

Collapse Expand Comments (0)
You don't have permission to post comments.

Opinion Articles

ExclusiveThe two-tier mobile internet: a different perspective

Mark Bridge writes:

If I start talking about a ‘tiered internet’ with a differing quality of service depending on the amount a customer pays, you’d probably start thinking about the topic of net neutrality. Yet Orange has plans to treat some of its mobile web traffic differently... and it’s being seen by many as a positive step.

ExclusiveLast week at The Fonecast: 23rd January 2012

Mark Bridge writes:

We’re starting the week with breaking (but not entirely unexpected) news that RIM has a new CEO. Just one, not two. We’ll be talking much more about him in Wednesday’s podcast. In fact, RIM’s announcement concludes a week that’s been packed with big names - and big money as well.

ExclusiveIt's the wrong song

Mark Bridge writes:

“T’ain’t what you do (it’s the way that you do it)”

So sang Ella Fitzgerald, Bananarama and the Fun Boy Three - although sadly not on the same recording. But that message is no longer being followed by many companies. Instead, the new mantra seems to be the other way round. And I think that’s a good thing.

ExclusiveCarnival of the Mobilists #257

Last week’s Carnival of the Mobilists was hosted here at TheFonecast.com... and this week the Carnival has travelled to the blog of mobile interaction designer Steven Hoober.

As always, it contains the web’s best writing on mobile and wireless - and this week’s contributors include our own James Rosewell.

RSS
First4748495052545556Last

Recent Podcasts

ExclusivePodcast from Mobile World Congress 2015

Mark Bridge learns about the mobile technology trends at Mobile World Congress 2015 by chatting to James Rosewell of 51Degrees, Dr Kevin Curran from the IEEE and Chris Millington of Doro.

They talk about wearable devices, wireless charging, mobile operating systems and much more... including some of their favourite products from the exhibition.

ExclusiveLooking back at February: from security scares to multiple MVNOs

We're taking a look back at the biggest mobile industry news stories from February 2015, including allegations that the UK's security service tried to breach SIM card security by hacking into one of the world's biggest SIM producers.

We also talk about the planned BT and EE merger, the creation of two new UK virtual networks, some acquisitions in the mobile payment arena and a new Ubuntu smartphone.

ExclusiveA month of mobile: O2 counts on 3, Microsoft counts to 10 and Apple counts its profits

We're back with a month of mobile industry news, including takeover talks and takeover rumours. O2 and Three are said to be discussing a merger... but is there any truth in the suggestions that BlackBerry could be up for grabs?

We also discuss Apple's record-breaking quarterly figures, the highlights of CES and the launch of Microsoft Windows 10, as well as saying farewell to the current version of Google Glass.

RSS
12345678910Last

Follow thefonecast.com

Archive Calendar

«May 2026»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
27282930123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
1234567

Archive