Categories
Close
Menu
Menu
Close
Search
Search

Featured Articles

News

giffgaff horror ads are still too scary for YouTube, rules ASA

Mark

Share:

Print

Rate article:

5.0
Rate this article:
5.0

UK virtual mobile network giffgaff’s attempts to target its humorous horror-themed video ads have fallen foul of the Advertising Standards Authority.

The ASA received a complaint about a giffgaff advertisement on YouTube, which began with a screaming woman being pursued by a man who appeared to be holding a chainsaw.  The complainant said their child had seen the ad before a programme for younger viewers.

In its response, giffgaff said the ad - which was designed to be a playful parody rather than scary - was only delivered to YouTube viewers whose account details recorded them as being over the age of 18.  In addition, an extra level of targeting only made the ad available to account holders who who’d previously searched online for topics such as ‘horror’ or ‘Halloween’.

However, the ASA ruled that giffgaff’s ad had breached the Committee of Advertising Practice (CAP) code rule on social responsibility. It said that although the account holder was over 18, it was likely they’d only be watching certain types of programme if accompanied by young children. Therefore, while giffgaff had attempted to target the ad, its targeting had not been entirely successful.

Last year another Hallowe’en advertisement from giffgaff also had a  number of complaints upheld by the ASA.

[ASA adjudication]

Comments

Collapse Expand Comments (0)
You don't have permission to post comments.

Opinion Articles

Beer o’clock

ExclusiveBeer o’clock

James Rosewell writes:

I noticed a new phenomenon at Mobile World Congress this year: Beer O’Clock. Come 5pm Monday through Wednesday, companies with larger booths would break out the Cerveza, Vino, Cava and a small number of Orange juices. All very sociable and fun… until the music started.

RSS
First34568101112Last

Recent Podcasts

ExclusivePodcast from Mobile World Congress 2015

Mark Bridge learns about the mobile technology trends at Mobile World Congress 2015 by chatting to James Rosewell of 51Degrees, Dr Kevin Curran from the IEEE and Chris Millington of Doro.

They talk about wearable devices, wireless charging, mobile operating systems and much more... including some of their favourite products from the exhibition.

ExclusiveLooking back at February: from security scares to multiple MVNOs

We're taking a look back at the biggest mobile industry news stories from February 2015, including allegations that the UK's security service tried to breach SIM card security by hacking into one of the world's biggest SIM producers.

We also talk about the planned BT and EE merger, the creation of two new UK virtual networks, some acquisitions in the mobile payment arena and a new Ubuntu smartphone.

ExclusiveA month of mobile: O2 counts on 3, Microsoft counts to 10 and Apple counts its profits

We're back with a month of mobile industry news, including takeover talks and takeover rumours. O2 and Three are said to be discussing a merger... but is there any truth in the suggestions that BlackBerry could be up for grabs?

We also discuss Apple's record-breaking quarterly figures, the highlights of CES and the launch of Microsoft Windows 10, as well as saying farewell to the current version of Google Glass.

RSS
123456810Last

Follow thefonecast.com

Archive Calendar

«May 2026»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
27282930123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
1234567

Archive