Categories
Close
Menu
Menu
Close
Search
Search

Featured Articles

RSS
123

Opinion Articles

News

The vast majority of people say they wouldn't struggle without a home landline

Mark

Mobile phones are now used at home more than anywhere else

Share:

Print

Rate article:

No rating
Rate this article:
No rating

A new report reveals that 95% of people in the UK say they “wouldn’t struggle” without a landline at home. In addition, more than half of all respondents said they used their mobile phones more at home than anywhere else.

The figures come from mobile network performance specialist RootMetrics, which contacted over two thousand people earlier this month.

When asked “Where do you tend to use your mobile for the longest periods of time?”, 55% said they spent most time using their phone at home. 15% said they used their mobile most while travelling, 12% at work , 9% when out with friends, and 3% in cafes, bars or restaurants.

The most-likely place for using a mobile phone at home was while watching TV (42%), followed by 13% in bed, 6% when eating and 2% in the bathroom.

More than half (51%) of 18 to 24-year-olds said their mobile phone had replaced their landline, as did 17% of people aged 55 and over.

Bill Moore, CEO and President of RootMetrics, said “Despite being called ‘mobiles’ it’s telling that we are now using them most when we are at home as landlines become the exception rather than the rule. Our mobile phones have become the remote control for our lives, and we are using them for an ever-increasing range of tasks, from second screen viewing, to taking pictures, to doing our banking.”

Comments

Collapse Expand Comments (0)
You don't have permission to post comments.

Recent Podcasts

ExclusivePodcast - 28th February 2012

James Rosewell and Mark Bridge report from Mobile World Congress 2012 in Barcelona. In today's programme they look back at Monday's big news, they talk about user experience and look forward to Tuesday's events.

ExclusivePodcast - 27th February 2012

James Rosewell and Mark Bridge report from Mobile World Congress 2012 in Barcelona. In today's programme they discuss some of the pre-show news and also look forward to Monday's events.

ExclusivePodcast - 22nd February 2012

Barclays introduces person-to-person mobile money transfers to the UK, Ofcom gets the go-ahead to cut wholesale interconnection charges, a handful of new phones are announced ahead of Mobile World Congress... plus the rest of the week's big news.

ExclusivePodcast - 15th February 2012

This week's headlines include Google and Motorola getting the go-ahead for their acquisition deal, 4000 Nokia staff losing their jobs, satellite phones being hacked, a new upgrade scheme from Phones 4u... and much more.

ExclusivePodcast - 10th February 2012

Dave Golding from Cellebrite talks about the company's new diagnostic tool. It uses the Cellbrite Touch tablet device to identify and fix faults, which enables retailers to reduce the number of suspect handsets they send for repair.
RSS
First3738394042444546Last

Follow thefonecast.com

Archive Calendar

«May 2026»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
27282930123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
1234567

Archive