Categories
Close
Menu
Menu
Close
Search
Search

Featured Articles

RSS
123

Opinion Articles

Opinion

4G doesn't come to Three

Mark

Share:

Print

Rate article:

No rating
Rate this article:
No rating

Mark Bridge writes:

Earlier today, Three.co.uk published a blog post headlined “4G comes to Three”. But it hasn’t.

I spent most of this morning here at Mobile World Congress muttering about the blog before returning to it this afternoon. And suddenly it’s changed.

The blog post remains. The headline is completely different. Now we’re told “Three to launch leading edge 3G service”.

Just as well, really, because the news wasn’t about 4G coming to the Three UK network. It was about HSPA+ service being rolled out to Three’s UK customers. And that’s not 4G. It’s more like fast 3G. In simple terms, the technology is different.

Now, admittedly the original blog did go on to say “this isn’t 4G as in Long Term Evolution… instead it’s the leading-edge version of 3G technology”. But that doesn’t forgive the original misleading headline... and the moderator’s comment of “it’s not 4G, we weren’t trying to claim that” falls a little flat.

Particularly when the company told us last year that “we currently operate on an HSPA network, and have already started moving towards HSPA+. We don’t have any immediate plans to start referring to this technology as 4G as some others have done.”

How quickly things change.

In recent months, Three has been using its ‘unlimited’ tariffs to build a reputation as a network to trust when it comes to mobile data.

Today, I think that hard-won reputation has been somewhat dented.

Comments

Collapse Expand Comments (0)
You don't have permission to post comments.

Recent Podcasts

ExclusivePodcast - 8th September 2010

This week's podcast takes its usual look at the latest industry headlines, covering everything from tablet devices to network sharing. There's also a preview of Friday's "Definition of Mobile" event, which aims to show businesses how they can take advantage of mobile technology.

ExclusivePodcast - 1st September 2010

Google moves even further into the telecoms space, O2 introduces 'eco ratings' and some of technology's biggest names go shopping. All this - plus the possibility of mobile phones made from nut shells - is discussed by Iain, James and Mark.

ExclusivePodcast - 25th August 2010

Iain, James and Mark take their regular look at the UK's top mobile industry news stories. This week, Intel, Nokia, Ofcom, ZTE, Apple, Facebook and the City of London police are some of the organisations making the headlines.

ExclusivePodcast - 18th August 2010

This week we talk to mobile security expert Jack Wraith, who heads the Telecommunications UK Fraud Forum and the Mobile Industry Crime Action Forum. Plus there's a discussion about all the week's other big news stories - from Android to Zeta-Jones!

ExclusivePodcast - 11th August 2010

Iain, James and Mark take their usual look at the week's mobile industry headlines, from high-level departures to mobile payments. There's also an interview with Anthony Erwin, founder of mobile dating and social networking company StreetSpark.

RSS
First6263646567697071Last

Follow thefonecast.com

Archive Calendar

«May 2026»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
27282930123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
1234567

Archive